Impact of COVID-19 on our Services
We recognise this is an extremely distressing and difficult time, and we know that COVID-19 is already affecting people experiencing vulnerability.
As a result there is increasing demand for our services, and we are taking many measures to ensure continuity of services. However there may be factors outside our control that impact on our ability to answer our hotlines or respond to email enquiries – for instance, outages in phone or internet provision, or staff absences due to sickness or self-isolation. If this should occur, we will endeavour to get services running as soon as we can, however for urgent matters you should try seeking assistance from other services such as the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). They have established a significant event support hotline for those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic: 1800 337 444
Responses to the COVID-19 pandemic are continually evolving for now, and we will continue to monitor and adapt our services in response, based on the latest Government health advice.
Please be assured that our priority remains to continue providing advice and assistance to the community, whilst doing all we can to protect the safety of our staff.
Phone 1300 663 464
Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm.
If you or your client are having difficulty contacting our advice service because of a disability or problems using an interpreter service, please let us know on our administration line (02) 9212 4216.
If you are simply having difficulty getting through to us, please be patient and persistent – we are a small service with limited resources and we are often very busy!
What YOU should do BEFORE you call
- Read your Product disclosure statement!
- Read any relevant Fact sheets on our website.
- Please do NOT call on behalf of someone else. We will NOT be able to help you.
- Please have any relevant documents at hand. Examples could include:
Bills and account statements, Legal notices, Contracts, Letters received
- Please have a PEN and PAPER handy, as we will often give you phone numbers to call or websites to visit.
- Think about what you are hoping to achieve in your situation.
What we CAN and CAN’T advise on
This is an insurance help-line for consumers.
WE CANNOT ADVISE YOU ON BUSINESS-RELATED INSURANCE ISSUES UNLESS YOU ARE A FARMER OR SMALL BUSINESS AFFECTED BY A NATURAL DISASTER.
What we do advise on
- Home building and or contents insurance (including natural disasters)
- consumer credit insurance
- life insurance
- funeral insurance
- pet insurance
- income protection insurance
- superannuation related insurance
- travel insurance
- motor vehicle insurance (other than CTP)
- debts to insurance companies in relation to motor vehicle accidents
- strata insurance if you are claiming for damage to property you own directly. We do not advise body corporates or individuals calling on behalf of a body corporate
- farm insurance – we may be able to provide some advice depending on what the issue is, but if you are affected by natural disaster including pandemic, please call or email and we will see if there is any assistance we can provide
- landlord’s insurance – we may be able to provide some advice depending on what the issue is
- Small business insurance – we may be able to provide some advice depending on what the issue is, but please note we do not advise on any of the specific areas listed below such as workers compensation, professional indemnity or public liability
What we do not advise on
- Business insurance – however there may be some small business matters we can assist with if the type of policy is not otherwise listed below
- personal injury
- home warranty insurance
- worker’s compensation
- compulsory third party insurance (CTP green slip)
- professional indemnity insurance
- public and product liability insurance
- health insurance
- pleasure craft
- motor vehicle accidents where no one is insured.
Due to very limited resources, we are only able to provide extensive advice (over the phone or in an email) or provide casework assistance if you are disadvantaged.
Need an interpreter or have a hearing disability?
We can organise an interpreter for you.
For the hearing or speech impaired, you can contact us using our email enquiry form here, or use the National Relay Service which is a service provided by the Australian Communication Exchange (TTY) 133 677 (SRS) 1300 555 727 and use our administration line (02) 9212 4216
Last updated: November 2020.