Financial Rights Legal Centre
Call our Insurance Hotline on 1300 663 464 or
National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007.
Insurance Law Service

Phone 1300 663 464

Holiday hours: Closes on Friday December 21, 2018 at 4.30pm and reopens on Monday January 7, 2019 at 9.30am.

Usual hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm.

If you or your client are having difficulty contacting our advice service because of a disability or problems using an interpreter service, please let us know on our administration line (02) 9212 4216.

If you are simply having difficulty getting through to us, please be patient and persistent – we are a small service with limited resources and we are often very busy!

What YOU should do BEFORE you call

  • Read your Product disclosure statement!
  • Read any relevant Fact sheets on our website.
  • Please do NOT call on behalf of someone else. We will NOT be able to help you.
  • Please have any relevant documents at hand. Examples could include:
    Bills and account statements, Legal notices, Contracts, Letters received
  • Please have a PEN and PAPER handy, as we will often give you phone numbers to call or websites to visit.
  • Think about what you are hoping to achieve in your situation.

What we CAN and CAN’T advise on

This is an insurance help-line for consumers.


What we do advise on

  • Home building and or contents insurance (including natural disasters)
  • consumer credit insurance
  • life insurance
  • funeral insurance
  • pet insurance
  • income protection insurance
  • superannuation related insurance
  • travel insurance
  • motor vehicle insurance (other than CTP)
  • debts to insurance companies in relation to motor vehicle accidents.

What we do not advise on

  • Business insurance
  • personal injury
  • home warranty insurance
  • worker’s compensation
  • compulsory third party insurance (CTP green slip)
  • professional indemnity insurance
  • public and product liability insurance
  • health insurance
  • landlord’s insurance
  • pleasure craft
  • strata insurance
  • motor vehicle accidents where no one is insured
  • dissatisfaction with amount of claim or quality of completed repairs.

Due to very limited resources, we are only able to provide extensive advice (over the phone or in an email) or provide casework assistance if you are disadvantaged.

Need an interpreter or have a hearing disability?

Interpreters are available by calling 131 450, and for the hearing or speech impaired, we recommend the National Relay Service which is a service provided by the Australian Communication Exchange (TTY) 133 677 (SRS) 1300 555 727.

Last updated: December 2018.